The beauty of a new experience.
I had never been to a hair show and so when I was asked to come to the Bronner Bros hair show over the last weekend, I didn’t know what to expect. Well, I had some idea because the Bronner Bros company has been doing this and all things hair for years.
Well, let me tell you, I had a lovely time and I got refreshed! And that’s why I want to write this blog and share some of my takeaways…You guys know, I’m big on takeaways.
When you walked in, there was a big fabulous Ford booth and people were getting to know the new cars. Here is my takeaway from Ford
- It’s not just okay to be big, beautiful and shiny, it’s fabulous to be.
As fabulous as it was, I didn’t linger, I must admit because the energy in the room was pulling me in so many lovely directions.
I love that they had it sectioned off in different booth areas. I started out in the skincare section.
First I visited the Tropic Isle Livin Booth, where I learned about Jamaican black castor oil and even got a massage as well. The therapist was so sweet and she really worked out the kinks in my neck, I had been holding tension there and I didn’t even realize it.
Well, I left the booth determined to try the Jamaican black castor oil and with some refreshing lifestyle and leadership aha’s.
- Be warm, be nice and offer your clients massive value. Goodwill goes a long way. These folks provided extra value at their booth with the massage therapist and she used the oil in her massage.
- I was carrying so much tension in my neck and because I was documenting the experience, I was unwilling to stop and smell the roses or Jamaican castor oil, if you will but I was so glad I did, because at the end of the day, self care is paramount to your success.
Next I visited the makeup areas and I was wowed by two beautiful passionpreneurs, celebrity makeup artist, Latasha Wright and Joi Mebane of The look by Joi. I call them passionpreneurs because of the way they do what they do. Many business experts say that people don’t buy what you do, they buy why you do it. When I talked to both of these women, it was clear that they live and breathe, glamour, beauty and power. They were each so gracious in their interactions. Joi made me look fierce and fabulous after she “joi’d” up my brows, I couldn’t stop looking at myself in the mirror – Forgive me! Sometimes I can’t help my vanity. Meanwhile over at Latasha’s booth, she shared some tips on beating your face and snatching your waist with her waist trainers.
Here are my takeaways from talking with them.
- Being professional doesn’t mean being cold. Latasha and Joi could have been haughty or inaccessible but they were lovely and gracious.
- You are your brand, so you always have to represent, always put your best foot forward.
Now there was such creative energy at the show, that’s one of the reasons, I think it’s a must visit for entrepreneurs and women alike. Just seeing all the different styles and looks inspired me to express more of my personal style and also gave me some business ideas for my work.
You can’t grow in life or business without allowing yourself to have new experiences. Push yourself out of your comfort zone and try something new and don’t put yourself or experiences in a box. I am not a hair and beauty professional but even though I am not in the industry, I still learned a great deal just by being in the room.
There were celebrities there of course, but I want to tell you about the Dudley’s. If you don’t know them, check out his wikpedia page and read about his inspirational story of success.
The Bronner bros show is part of a powerful legacy of black business and the beauty industry and so is Mr Dudley.
1. What will your legacy be?
2. Are you always repping your brand to the best of your ability?
3. When was the last time you had a new experience that refreshed you?
I have so many more photos and I will likely do another blog about my experience in a few days, I just wanted to get this quick post up because I was so revved up about my experience.
The Bronner Bros Hair Show is a regular event, so follow them @bronnerbros on twitter and instagram so you can stay in the know, because you don’t want to miss the next one. It’s not only fun, it’s inspiring, refreshing and fabulous!
See you there soon. Muah!